Note: This is the first blog in our multi-part blog series on the CMS Requirements of Participation.
Did you know that one in three long-term post-acute care (LTPAC) residents is harmed by an adverse event within 35 days of their stay? Indeed, it is true, and the statistics from the Office of Inspector General don’t stop there:
- 59% of events are preventable
- 37% of such events medication related (medication induced change in mental status, excessive bleeding)
- 37% are resident related (fall, electrolyte imbalance, pressure injury)
- 26% are infection related
- 50% of those residents affected returned to the hospital